13.3.12

The 2011 World Champion - Exclusive Interview

2011 Extreme Boule World Champion Darren Woolridge, took some time out of his busy training regime to speak to our reporter. In this exclusive interview he gives us a glimpse into what life is like for a champion and the truth behind THAT match with Ben Martin.

How did it feel to win the 2011 title, narrowly beating B. Martin at the end?
It was a relief! All the steel-blisters and calluses were worth it. I've even cleared a space on the mantle for the World Champ Trophy (still not awarded)....

What's your view on the often talked about controversy that surrounded the deciding match between yourself and Martin?
I knew I won that match... the adjudicators both picked a winner apiece. 1 Woolridge 1 Martin... the man that picked Martin as the winner was topless with suspenders and his face was painted like a pigeon. The one that picked me as a winner may have been painted like a cow, but at least he was fully dressed. It's redundant now, regardless. I needed not win that match to take home the title. Needless to say, I had the last laugh...

How hard is it to maintain a normal life, when you are Extreme Boule World Champion?
It's more difficult than I'd imagined it would be... Port looks better to me, and I struggle to resist it. I also think that I need to buy the "Taste the Difference" prawns, which is crippling me, financially.

How do you respond to the suggestion that you've 'lost it' in 2012?
I had lost it... I'm BACK!

Which film character do you most associate yourself with?
The dog in You've got Mail.

Balance Boy is breaking out new styles for 2012, Moss is becoming the Media's bad boy... What's up your sleeve for 2012?
I'm currently in negotiations with Neil Young. We're developing a Boules glove. It has fur on the back, moss on the side and a Boule Squeegee laying across the thumb.

Finally, single stripes, double close together stripes or triple stripes?
Single stripes all the way. I can't imagine a better boule.

No comments:

Post a Comment