18.1.13

Exclusive Interview with 2012 World Champion

"I'm good at aiming, throwing and I'm cool under pressure"


Mike Hopkins, Extreme Boule World Champion 2012. We sent an intrepid reporter to track down the new world champion to find out the secrets behind his success, the problems of fame and the truth about those rumoured port binges...



Mike, can you sum up the feeling of being the World Champion of 2012 in four words?
Pride, disbelief, euphoria, relief.

Most Extreme Boule World Champions end up addicted to port, missing or dead. What are your plans?
After a heavy Port binge in December I've gone cold turkey so am determined to keep that up. Plans for the immediate future are just to deal with all the press and media circus and then I'll try to get away for a bit so I can just enjoy it. Hopefully I will come back alive and then, well it's all to play for in 2013....

"Next year when I'm holding the trophy for a 2nd time I think we will all know the answer"

You won 60% of your games, beating 38 opponents along the way. What was the secret to your success?
I'm good at aiming, throwing and I'm cool under pressure. These 3 elements are the winning combination.

How will you handle the obvious stardom and adulation that will inevitably head your way?
Keep it real, stay positive, stay off Port, put something back into the community, never forget my roots.

In your opinion, where do you rank alongside the other world champions? The best? Second best? Third? Fourth? Worst?
Well obviously not the worst. I guess that's for you to figure out. It's all there in the stats as you know. Next year when I'm holding the trophy for a 2nd time I think we will all know the answer.

No one has ever won the World Championship twice? Can you?
Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment